Purpose: to determine the elements of a quality summative assessment.
- Watch Urban Academy Video: look for elements of good assessment, as well as things that concern you about this type of assessment.
- Summative Critique: in small groups, evaluate a summative assessment based on the student work.
- Lydia's Video: a music video that represents the student's philosophy about human nature.
3. Private Reasoning Time: Individually, think about the following questions:
- What is this summative assessing?
- How did the student do?
- What skills, understandings, and knowledge did she demonstrate?
- What is good about this summative?
- What questions do you have about the assessment? About the objectives? About the student?
4. Discuss at your table.
5. Look at the KUD for this unit. Now that you have this, evaluate the assessment. Is it effective? What would you change in order to make it more effective? What other assessments might you suggest?
6. Based on your discussions, develop a scale for summative assessments.
7. Application: think of your own KUD; brainstorm a variety of summative assessment ideas.
8. Tweet: Tweet your understanding about good summatives.